International Master Javier Gil
Born in Saragosse (Zaragoza, Spain), at the early age of 14 Javier's family moved to Bondi Beach, Sydney (Australia) where he lived for 6 years.
In 1990 Javier went back to Spain where he did Military service, and soon
afterwards earned his I.M. Title.
In 1992 Javier began to work as a full time chess coach and in 2006 returned to Australia, where most of his family lives.
Here are some of his career highlights as a player:
1984 World Junior Championship, Kiljava, Finland
1985 World Junior Championship, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
1986 World Junior Championship, Gausdal, Norway (17th place)
1985 Australian Blitz Champion, Toowwoonba, Australia
1986 Asian Junior Championship, Manila, Philipines (3rd place)
1990 Earned International Master Title
1992 Shared third place in Spanish Championship
2005 Earned FIDE Trainer title
Javier has also won the following tournaments:
- Doeberl Cup (Australia)
- Sydney Junior championship (twice)
- New South Wales Junior Championship (twice)
- City of Sydney Champion (twice)
- New South Wales Championship
- Australian Junior Championship (2nd place)
- Champion of the city of Huesca (both blitz and STC)
- City of Zaragoza (Saragosse, blitz and STC, several times)
- Champion of Aragon (both blitz and STC, several times)
- 1st place in the 8th Benasque Open
- 3rd place in the Spanish Championship
- and winner of other less prestigous events
At present Javier is a full time on-line coach and works at Brett Tindall's Sydney Academy of Chess
when he's in Australia.