Chess.clinic Bulletin Board

Carlsen, Anand, Aronian, Kramnik, Nakamura

Javier

The 2011 edition of the London classic is beginning to take shape and the field is the strongest of any previous editions:

Carlsen, Anand, Aronian, Kramnik, Nakamura... and then the English players: Adams, Short and Howell.

Unlike other tournaments in Europe, I like the fact that the British have a great respect for their national players.

This year there will be nine players, I'm not sure who the nineth player will be. Having an odd number of players is actually a pretty good idea for a tournament of this level: apart from the official rest days, one player will get to an additional rest each round.

Open tournaments where players are forced to play more than one round a day are very widespread at present, mainly to reduce costs. The organizers of these events don't really care much about the players nor the quality of the games, they just wanna get the whole thing done as soon as possible. I call them "Mcdonald´s tournaments".